Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Supermarket Meal, or How Terrible it is When I Forget to Prepare

I read an article today that really disturbed me. Strokes in younger people are rising dramatically. While I walk with the twins every day, and run 2-3 days a week and go to BLAST class 2 days a week, I still eat a fairly high fat diet. Our plan was to start by eating mostly whole foods and creating our meals at home, while simultaneously increasing our activity level. Then we were going to take a hard look at what we cook and begin substituting healthier options for the ones we were already working with. We are doing really great at eating whole foods at home, and rarely eating out now. We are doing fairly well at the increasing our activity level. I walk every day and attend my BLAST class, but I am finding it hard to keep my running up. Ray goes to the gym every morning, but has skipped some days when the night was hard.

With this in mind, when I got home from work with the twins, knowing that Ray had an after work meeting and would not be able to join us for dinner, I realized I had completely failed to appropriately plan! I had NO protein-substance thawed, hadn't set up anything to cook while I was gone, and had nothing except some beets, apples and oranges in the fridge! So I piled my cranky pants into their stroller and walked us over to the local supermarket. Saying that I was disappointed at the utter LACK of anything healthy and prepared would be a major understatement. My twins were hungry and I was running out of time! I had to find SOMETHING to feed them that would be already ready to go! The only food they had prepared were aisles of cookies, cupcakes, cakes and other sweets, loaves of bread, mayonnaise-y salads that looked mildly questionable, and deep fried pieces of dead animals and root plants. After circling the market and grabbing a can of organic no-salt mixed vegetables, a slab of cornbread, a box of tissues, and some more of the "delicates" detergent, I ended up back at the "deli". With dissatisfaction, I ordered 5 very over cooked chicken strips, as they were the only thing I thought both I and the twins could eat. I am utterly appalled at the lack of healthy prepared food at the supermarket!




Whole Paycheck, er I mean Foods, while protentious and overpriced, has a great selection of not terrible for you prepared foods. However, being across town, it is not an option I can really entertain. I suppose my best option is going to be overcooking a few meals and freezing them myself, so that all I have to do is pop them into the microwave, into the oven, or onto the stove to have a real meal to feed us. This however is going to take a great deal of planning, and a little time to set into order. Small price to pay for not eating to kill us.

I must end this post rather abruptly as the twins are showering each other with cornbread they grabbed off the counter, and it is quite obvious that it is time for this single-for-the-night mom to put these two to bed. Nos pars?

1 comment:

  1. I have also heard diet soda contributes to strokes too...why do all the good foods have to be so bad for you!?

    ReplyDelete